Wednesday, December 11, 2013

All I Want for Christmas...

by Andrea Harris


We all know the popular children’s Christmas song about needing a couple of front teeth.  It makes us think fondly of our own gap-toothed young and have a good laugh, but did you know that according to a National Center for Disease Control study a few years back, they found Christmas decorating accidents account for 1% of the 1.9 million holiday related injuries that occur from Nov 1st through January 31st each year.  And of those injuries, the CDC found that 56% were from falls that were at considerable heights (roof tops) and 11% were falls from moderate heights. This included falls from chairs, step ladders etc (getting the star just right? Don’t step backwards!). Most of the injuries (62%) happened to young and middle aged adults (the most reckless age group, right?) Some of these accidents involve facial and dental trauma!

Yikes! Who would have guessed so many people were losing teeth in decor related accidents the holidays? I confess, when I was out scampering around on my roof last week, perfecting the lights I didn’t think once about my teeth.  Falling on my head and suffering major brain trauma? Missing a step on the ladder and breaking a leg?  Absolutely.  Knocking out a tooth?  It didn’t even cross my mind.  

Of course there are a few other way you could lose your own two front teeth this winter: A skiing mishap, a fall on the ice, a crash at your local skating rink…. you get the idea.  All I’m saying is be a little careful out there, guys!  You don’t want to be wishing anyone a Merry Chrithmeth when you’re 40!

Photo Credit: Coloribus.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...